Friday, July 01, 2011

Worst Student EVER :(

I figured if I were to learn to cook, I should start with the basics so i signed up for a Knife Skills class tonight. I was the worst student in the class. :(

I don't even remember the # of times I got yelled at by the instructor.  Normally, I probably would have been humored by it.  But today, it just made me feel EXTRA shitty.  yuck.  Here are some examples, "NO SANDY!  NOT like that!"when i smushed the garlic wrong.  "Stop making those chopping noises.  You're supposed to be slicing!" when I couldn't cut through that stupid carrot.  And my favorite? "Sorry to make an example of you again, Sandy...but class...that is what you're NOT supposed to do" when I had my knife angled in the wrong direction or something.  Ok...in hindsight, it was kiiiiinnnndaaaa funny.  But it really wasn't at the time! :(

This was my sad potato:

I was kinda good at cutting spinach though!  I got really excited when my "waves" came out.  I guess they looked more like "Vs" huh?


I did impress myself last week though!  I gathered a bunch of recipes from my friends and just started cooking!  I have no proof so you'll have to take my word for it, but I made a REALLY good Korean meal (thanks for the recipes Wendy)!  I made bulgogi, calbi, and spicy tofu soup! <---I even made the broth from scratch!

I also did some baking- red velvet cupcakes with vanilla cream cheese frosting, carrot cake cupcakes with maple cream cheese frosting, and Doro's top secret banana bread with choco chips. I swooned myself for actually doing it and then I gained 5 pounds from all the "quality control". :(
Super Secret Banana Bread


Carrot Cake Cupcakes from Patricia

So what's next?  Well, I have a Thai cooking class on Saturday...and I decided I am going to take a break from all the baking/cooking for awhile and go on a diet.  :(

<3,
Sandy